Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tasty Tuesday--Apple Pie Donuts

I think by now you know I enjoy anything with apples in it. That 5 gallon bucket of apples from my parents apple tree kept me busy trying new apple recipes. This one was a keeper. I adapted it a bit and made it lower in fat than the original recipe. They were crumbly, but not dry if that makes any sense. Kids loved them, too. You don't need the donut tin to make these--I'm certain they would turn out well as a muffin too. Give 'em a try!

Apple Pie Donuts
adapted from momadvice.com

Ingredients
1/4 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar
1 1/2 cups of bite size chunks of apple, peeled and cored (approximately 2 apples)
3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup of cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup of almond milk
For sugar & cinnamon topping:
1/3 cup of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F. Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugars, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Add the cold chopped butter, cut into tablespoons. Cut the butter with the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a pastry blender or fork.
In a separate bowl, mix thein the egg, milk and fold in the chopped apples. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir using a spatula or spoon making sure not to overmix.


Place two spoonfuls of batter into a greased donut mold pan.

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the donuts are just golden. Allow to cool for five minutes. Unmold each donut gently and lightly spray each with the butter spray. Dunk in a bowl with the sugar and cinnamon mixed in. Shake off excess sugar and serve immediately.













Enjoy and have a great week!
Cindy

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Yum, I want one right now!!!
    -Melanie

    P.S. I’m doing a $50 Shabby Apple giveaway on my blog. You should check it out here: http://meandmr.com/post/35113285949/shabby-apple-50-giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly tasty. I'm glad you stopped by!
      Cindy

      Delete
  2. These look so good. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party and would love to have you share this with everyone. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesday-adorned-from-above-link-party.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Debi--I'll check out your party! Thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  3. What a great way to use up some apples! I really could go for one or two right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed them! Thanks for dropping by! Come back again!

      Delete
  4. I love this! They look so so delicious! I want one so bad right now! This recipe id for sure a keeper.
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there this week too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thanks for stopping by--I enjoy your link party!
      See you soon!

      Delete
  5. WOW! Thank you so very much for sharing your Apple Pie Donuts at the Real Housemom's Fabulous Fridays Link Party! These look AMAZING and I will definitely be making them soon. You have motivated me to go buy a donut pan ASAP! My husband and kids would love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea - I am a donut FAN!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love (nice) comments...let me know whatcha think:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...