Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY Father's Day Gift {Last Minute Idea}

First of all, I want to wish my Sister-in-Law Kristen a Very Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!

Can you believe Father's Day is coming up this weekend? I've got a last minute gift idea you can whip up with the kiddos help! You can buy these items at the Dollar Store or Craft Store and it won't break the bank! The bare wood frame was from Michael's for $1, the river rocks were from the Dollar Tree for $1, I had the glue, paint and popsicle stick on hand! So this project only cost $2!!! And it's a piece that is treasured in our home!

Dad Rocks Picture Frame

Dad Rocks Picture Frame

Supplies

Bare Wood Picture Frame
River Rocks
E600 Glue
Popsicle Stick
Paint
Marker

Instructions
Gather your rocks, we used about a bag of the smaller sized river rocks. Have them out on your work surface, ready to place. Apply glue on frame, we were very generous. Because this is very sticky glue, I applied the rocks to the glue (very carefully). We moved them around to fit. We applied more glue as necessary, working in a small area at one time. Once all the rocks have been applied, allow glue to dry and set over night. Check for loose rocks and reapply glue if necessary!
While the glue is drying, the kids painted the popsicle stick brown. I broke it in half and sanded the edges. Then I hand wrote DAD ROCKS with a black marker. This is what the kids wanted; I think I would have done something a bit differently though. Perhaps vinyl? Anyways, its handmade and I think it turned out great. We added some glue on the back of the popsicle stick and placed it on the rocks on opposite corners (per direction from my daughter!).
After that dried, we added the picture and wrapped it up! The frame is heavy and the little wood peg that comes with the frame won't hold it up. I suggest a holder or make sure you can prop it up against something else.


Super easy, inexpensive and something you could totally pull off before Father's Day this weekend!

What do you think?

 



Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. It's really cute, Cindy! We may have to run out for river rocks before father's day. I will try it on a thrift store frame we already have. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool and much more original than the cans of peanuts or packs of socks we used to buy our Dad lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love (nice) comments...let me know whatcha think:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...